[Sca-cooks] Historic Near East Spice Boxes

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 09:48:04 PDT 2004

--- Susan Fox-Davis <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:

> You suggest the camping box of each of these pack white sugar?  How
> white was their sugar, or do we have any actual idea?   I tend not to go
> lighter than turbinado when using cane sugar at all for the SCA milieu,
> and prefer to put Piloncillo cones on the table.  But that's just me.

Medieval white sugar was almost as finely processed as it is today.  The belief that medieval
sugar would have been, by default, brown or sticky (as is the case of your Piloncillo sugar) is a
common misconception.  If you are concerned about using the wrong kind of sugar for the SCA
milieu, you might want to replace your cones of Piloncillo (Mexican Brown Sugar, and certainly
OOP)with a carton of Spreckles :)  On a serious note, rock sugar (either store-bought or home
made) is perfectly period.  It takes a little longer to dissolve than granulated sugar, but it
sure looks neat :)

William de Grandfort

> I find Zaatar as an independent breed of Marjoram, "Origanum syriaca" on
> the following seed catalogue page:
>  http://www.genesisseeds.com/organicseed/herbs/catalog_culinaryherbs.htm
>
> Once this is done, a comparison of the sweets sections of each might be
> interesting too.
>
> Selene

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.