[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Oven temperature question

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 00:10:48 PDT 2004

--- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> What fire danger? You are keeping the embers in a big chunk of stone
> and mortar. The only opening is the door, and that has a closure of
> some type. Where would the embers go to cause a fire? In addition the
> area around the ovens, in the pictures I remember, seem to be pretty
> clear of burnables.

The paragraph you are commenting on was written under the assumption that we were talking about a
different kind of oven (open, constant temperature oven).  Bear has since explained that the
medieval ovens in this topic were of the mass variety.  In an open oven, the risk of fire would
have been a concern, but not in the enclosed ovens.

> The cost of the fuel wasn't insignificant. I don't think they would
> have thrown out something that would have saved them some wood, and
> time, in bringing the oven back up to temperature.

No, I can't imagine they would throw out the hot coals.  By 'cleared out' I simply meant that the
coals and ash would have been removed.

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.