[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Oven temperature question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 29 06:00:23 PDT 2004

Considering that many medieval towns were very cautious about permitting
ovens inside the town, I would say that the danger of a fire was real.  All
it takes is a small accident to start a fire that would burn out a group of
adjacent wooden structures without firebreaks or firewalls.  A baker whose
livelihood depended on being allowed to use his ovens would have been extra
cautious about not giving cause to have his license pulled.

Also, the embers were not inside the oven.  They were removed to clear the
oven floor for baking.  I think they would have been removed in buckets of
water to eliminate any danger of fire.  That being the case, the oven
wouldn't be relit until the next baking run to keep from wasting fuel.

BTW, the better ovens have a closeable vent above the door to create a
circular draft inside the oven chamber, so there would have been two
openings.  And the door would probably have been wood and flammable.

Bear