[Sca-cooks] Forest management (was ovens)

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Sat Oct 30 21:14:58 PDT 2004

Phlip <phlip at 99main.com> [2004.10.30] wrote:
> Evergreens aren't considered a good firewood because they can cause a severe
> flammable build up in your chimney- can make things right exciting ;-) The

True, but in parts of the world the price difference is major. IIRC I
would have to pay *at least* twice as much for birch -- the main local
hardwood -- as for mixed wood. I suspect that local availability might
have produced the same kinds of effects back then as well.

> reason I said a temperate zone forest is because they tend to have a high
> proportion of hardwoods- oak, hickory, and so forth, which are ideal woods
> for burning in a fireplace- not only are they low on sap and such, but they

I'm in the (south end of the) taiga forest, so my options are different
from most continental folks.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defense.