[Sca-cooks] Forest management (was ovens)

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Oct 31 09:32:04 PST 2004

And I live smack in the middle of the Rocky Mountains, so while we have
some deciduous trees (natives include things like cottonwoods and aspen
and birch, and there are imports like elms and LOTS of yellow maple), we
truly wouldn't have enough of those for firewood.  But then, I don't
think our area would qualify as a "temperate forest," as we're too dry.
  And shame on me, as the daughter of a forester, I should know what we
are, beyond "semi-arid!" <g>
We gots us lots and lots of conifers, though...the acreage I mentioned
(which I inherited when my parents passed on) is pretty heavily covered
with a variety of pines, firs, western larch, and some spruce.  And it
was managed by my dad (thinned, selectively logged, etc.) for over 30
years, so it was my pretty-close equivalent to a medieval managed forest.
--maire