[Sca-cooks] Forest management (was ovens)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 29 11:45:30 PDT 2004

I'm more familiar with German practice.  The owner of a woodland hires ein
Forstmeister to take care of the woods.  The Forstmeister hires foresters as
need to help him with the task and it was common when I was living in
Germany to have had one family serving as a region's foresters for
centuries.  The forest law, while tempered by modern jurisprudence and
forestry practices, was based on forestry regulations over a thousand years
old.

The forest law (as I remember it) permits anyone to use any part of the tree
that has fallen to the ground, nuts, pine cones, limbs, whole trees, etc.
There were fines for damaging live trees and causing a wildfire was a
serious offense.  The forester is responsible for seeing that trees for
lumber are harvested for the owner, that diseased and trash trees are cut
down for use by the locals,  and that the forest land is kept within the
dictates of the law and the owners directives.  In return, the Forstmeister
receives wages and some privileges to the harvest and sale of forest
products.

One of the key duties which was becoming less important was to be sure that
enough trees would be downed to ensure firewood for the locals during the
winter.  In a completely managed forest, the "dead and downed" timber
changes as much through the dictates of economics as from natural causes.

Bear