[Sca-cooks] OT (?) Winter Favorites

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 31 16:32:49 PST 2004

--- kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

> Um, my lord, where do you live, and what's in your soup pot this evening?
> :)
> Christianna

 I live in the Shire of Wintermist (Caid), and in my soup pot this evening is...drumroll
please...nothing.   It's Halloween, after all :)  It's the only time of the year I can go "Punkin'
Smashin'" without pissing off the Produce Manager :)

Seriously, though, and in keeping with the theme of the thread, I do have some leftover 'pork and
beans' which I made last night.  I love slow-simmering beans during the winter months, and this
time I used red beans, simmered in chicken stock with a bit of carrot, celery, onion, shallot and
garlic, and then threw in a whole pork tenderloin, cut into thirds.  I usually cook this until the
meat falls apart and soaks up a lot of the flavors, and then I'll throw in ONE star anise, to
perfume the pot with a "hmmmnn...what's that flavor?" kind of deal.  Very good, if you haven't
tried it.  Of course, now that I have my hands on some Long Pepper, I may try spicing the next
batch up a bit.  What a difference in flavor between Long Pepper and regular Black Pepper!  Who
knew???

William de Grandfort

=====
Every heart to love will come... but like a refugee.