[Sca-cooks] OT (?) Winter Favorites

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 31 13:21:49 PST 2004

Chris Stanifer wrote:

>The 'beef per gallon' thread got me to thinking about my now-too-infrequent Autumn and Winter
>walks along the riverbank, and the favorite foods I always seem to make (and crave) this time of
>year.
>
>As a seed for discussion, I'd like to open up with a few of my favorites, and invite anyone else
>to saunter with me down Memory Lane, and add their favorites to the list...

Hmmm...let's see.....

1)  I always long for warm, rich stews of a winter evening...either a
beef stew with chunks of turnip, carrot, onion, celery) or a Virginia
Brunswick stew (only I can't figure out what to substitute for the corn
so I can have it on my diet)...with a crusty loaf of multi-grain or
sourdough bread from my favorite bakery at the local farmer's market....or
2)  The creamed chipped beef on toast that my husband makes.  The
recipe, which I don't have, but he carries around in his head, is one
his mother got from a Marine mess seargeant who cooked for the Officers'
Club.  It uses both ground beef and chipped beef...and is a tradition on
Christmas morning.. or....
3)  the standing rib pork roast I make with a stuffing of granny smith
apples, bread, and seasonings...oh, the aroma it leaves in the kitchen!!!!

Kiri