[Sca-cooks] Miliacita, Migliaciti, etc

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 06:17:44 PDT 2004

On 9 Sep 2004, at 17:48, margaret wrote:
> I've never heard of "miliacita" and I'm a little suspicious of the
liguistic
> construction of the word.  I would check with a good Greek dictionary
or a Greek
> linguist, if one is available.

FWIW, _Epulario_ has a recipe for migliacio (sp?), which is a ricotta
cheesecake.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net

Or there is also this one Migliaciti in the Anonymous venetian cookbook (http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/%7Egloning/frati.htm) for the Italian or (http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libroenglish.html#XL) for the English.
XL. Migliaciti bianchi e vantagiati, etc.
Se tu voy fare migliaciti bianchi per lo
megliore modo che fare se poy per XII persone,
toy tanto levato che sia un pan e mezo,
toy aqua ben calda pocha e menalo molto
questo levato tanto che faza file; e toy quatro
chaxi freschi che sia ben grassi; e toy X ova,
e toy do libre d' onto frescho ben destruto
con poco fogo ben colato. E quando el
levato è ben menato, metige suso farina in
quantitade de una scudella pizola, e mitige
anche acqua pocha, e mitige tri casi triti, e
mitige le ove che tu ay, e fay che questo
batuto sia longo e molle, e metilo in el testo
caldo e non tropo e ben onto, e tritali suso
li doi casi che tu ay ben triti, e l' altra
mitade del lardo che tu ay molto caldo, e falo
cosere. E se voy fare per piú persone o per
men, toy le çosse per quello modo.

XL A white and rich “migliaciti” (cake)
If you want to make white cake in the best way that you can for 12 persons.  Take enough leaven (fermenting bread dough) that is (for) about a bread and a half, take water that is a little hot and mix it with the leaven so that it makes strings (breaks up).  Take four fresh, good fat cheeses, ten eggs, two pounds of fresh lard that has been well rendered with little smoke and well strained.  And when the leaven is well working put it above flour in quantities of about a dish (scudella pizola a dish of a specific and constant size), and put in a a little water, and put in the chopped cheese (one of the three) and add the eggs that you have.  Make this batter/dough soft and tender, and put it into a hot but not too hot “testo” (pie dish designed to cook pies on the fire) which has been well greased.  And scatter above the two cheeses that you have chopped well, and above it add the hot strained lard that you have, and put it to cook.  And if you want to make for more persons or for
 less take the ingredients in the same way.

Could this be what you want?

Helewyse

Oh yeah for more "pizza" recipes check out either the article in the florilegium or http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/pizza.html