[Sca-cooks] hunting horns

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Sep 9 21:21:25 PDT 2004

  Ruth commented:
>        As part of an Arts tournament entry, I'd made myself a hunting
> horn in the classic manner (cow horn, lop off the tip, carve in a
> conical "self" mouthpiece, coat the upper 1/3 of the inside airway with
> beeswax, etc., etc.).  A gentleman visiting from another area had not
> yet seen the thing, and was very curious, so I showed it to him, and
> went off on the usual Full Description/Lecture; among other things, I
> mentioned that I'd read Period hunters would apparently plug the
> mouthpieces of their horns after the hunt, and then use the horn for a
> drinking vessel.

I can't answer the questions you've brought up, but since you are/were
working on researching hunting horns, I thought that this new file in
the Florilegium might be of interest:
blast-horns-art   (12K)  6/ 7/04    "Where is the Horn That Was
Blowing?" by
                                        Lord Dyfn ap Meurig. (hunting
horns)
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERFORMANCE-ARTS/blast-horns-art.html