[Sca-cooks] Food liscense for Taverns?

Betsy Marshall betsy at softwareinnovation.com
Sun Sep 12 08:11:17 PDT 2004

Sorry for the delayed response- here is Caelin's comment:

I have not looked at the law recently. I used to run food booths at
fairs -
a for profit operation. At that time, the Texas law said anyone who sold
food for money (not necessarily for profit) must have a license from the
Texas Dept of Health or from a local county or city. Any would do. I
have
heard that non-profits don't have to obey that law, but I have yet to
see
any legal opinion to that end. Unless you ask for a license or someone
complains, however, the state is unlikely to know you are selling food
without a license as they have far too few inspectors. I go under the
"better safe than sorry" and get a license.

Cities can enact their own ordinances that are more restrictive than the
state's. Canton, for instance, requires anyone selling food on the
Canton
site to have a license from the city. It is $50 for 12 months, so it is
not
a big issue. I have such a license and AAA was run under it. I expect we
will use the same one for Elfsea Defender and for any other SCA event
that
intends to run a feast or tavern there (just contact me so I can declare
you
are running under my license - that means I am responsible so I might
check
your kitchen to make sure it meets sanitation codes).

BTW, I am not a Chirurgeon Emeritus. These are people who have done
major
work for the Society and the Chirurgeonate for a long time *and* cannot
treat patients any more. We make them Emeriti so we may continue to use
their experience to train others and do various infrastructure jobs. I'm
honored (I think) that you include me among them, but I am not there
yet. I
*am* on the www.chirurgeon.net page under "Officers" as the ER Deputy to
the
Society Chirurgeon.