[Sca-cooks] La Madeline

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 17:51:05 PDT 2004

>>La Madeline must be at least a regional chain then since there are at
>>least two down here in Austin.

They have 60 branches scattered throughout Texas, Arizona, Louisana and
a couple of other states.

>>Their decoration is interesting. They are heavily decorated with wood and
>>brickwork and numerous knickknacks.

True. I love the look of the place. It really recalls a French farmhouse or
mill or somesuch.

>That's pretty much what a bistro is, though. The French equivalent of an
>English pub, with wine instead of beer. The food is generally regional
>cuisine, except for the universal language of Steak and Fries.

No Steak and Fries at La Madeline, nothing is deep fried.
Excellent soups (French Onion, Tomato-Basil, Cream of Mushroom, Potato)
Sandwiches, Croque Monseur, Chicken Friand, Galettes, Crepes, Salads,
wonderful breads and desserts.

As well as breakfasts and more ambitious bistro style meals in the evening.

Kind of a "McDonald's French Bistro".  But I like it for being cool and
eclectic
and a hell of a lot cheaper than any French Bistro in Dallas.

>>  Also typically French, or what I've seen as "French or Continental
>>style", small portions with high prices.

It's somewhat pricey, but the portions aren't particulalry small. And the
food
is pretty rich. Some deals are better than others, of course, but it's hard
to leave still hungry. Maddies has always been one of my favorite places
to go and is pretty popular. Although the branches in Phoenix, AZ kind
of suck. I mentioned that during my interview and they told me the whole
management staff in Phoenix has been canned and new folks are coming in.
You never know, I may move back out there to manage one of the branches.

>Europeans often tend to eat for a long time, in multiple, small courses.

And, other than at lunch when there is a line a mile long out the door,
Maddies
pretty much encourages relaxation and staying. That's one of the benefits to
not having a waitstaff. Without a waiter constantly reminding you that you
have
to leave it's easier to sit back, drink coffee and read the paper.

>The pricing is merely a function of market forces; just like McDonald's,
>they're going to charge as much as they can get away with, until a drop in
>business suggests they may be charging too much.

True. And all of the stuff served in the restaurant is made on site.

>A typical bistro meal might consist of seemingly small servings of a
>starter such as a pate, toasts and cornichons (pickles), followed by a
>soup, an entree (still small by American standards, maybe a four-ounce
>steak, which is plenty of meat, but definitely not the Texas Total Steak
>Immersion Experience), followed by a small salad, followed by coffee, then
>dessert, then maybe cheese and/or fruit. It's actually quite a friggin' lot
>of food. Plus wine.

One of my dreams is to have a meal in a real French Bistro. Or even one
of the good New York ones. Like Tony Bourdain's Les Halles.

>Adamantius

Gunthar

Man, I'm sore. Now I remember why I've not been doing feasts lately.