[Sca-cooks] Artichoke Pie

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 08:25:17 PDT 2004

About the periodness of Artichoke Pie, Master A once told this list:

"

Lorna J. Sass's "To The Queen's Taste"

“To make an Artichoak Pye Take the bottoms of six Artichoaks Boyled very
tender, put them in a dish, and some vinegar over them. Season them with
Ginger and Sugar, a little Mace whole, and put them in a Coffin of
Paste. When you lay them in, lay some Marrow and Dates sliced, and a few
Raisons of the Sun in the bottom, with a good store of Butter. When it
is half baked, take a Gill of Sack, being boyled first with Sugar, and a
peel of Orange. Put it into the Pye, and set it in the Oven again, till
you use it.
Attributed to Sir Hugh Platt
The Accomplisht Ladys Delit

ARTCHOKE PIE

Hakluyt points out in his ‘Voiages and Discoveries of the English
Nation’ (1589) that the artichoke was a relatively new foodstuff for the
Elizabethans. ‘In time of memory,’ he claims, ‘things have bene brought
in that were not here before, as...the Artichowe in time of Henry the eight.’

Artichokes were most commonly eaten boiled in broth with pepper and
salt, but there are a few recipes for artichoke pies like this one. This
pie would be suitable as an appetizer or a side dish at dinner, or as a
luncheon entrée.

9-inch unbaked pie pastry shell
2 9-ounce packages frozen artichoke hearts or bottoms
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel
pinch mace
vinegar to taste
3/4 cup pitted, minced dates
1/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon bone marrow, cut into pieces
1 tablespoon butter, cut into pieces.

1. Bake pie shell at 425 degrees F. for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature
to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Let cool.

2. Cook artichokes according to directions on package, but reduce
boiling time to 2 minutes. Drain artichokes.

3. In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients except butter and marrow.

4. Toss artichokes in this mixture until they are thoroughly coated. Let
stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5. Place mixture in pie shell, making sure that solid ingredients are
evenly distributed.

6. Dot with butter and marrow.

7. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 30
minutes or until artichokes are tender.

Serves 6-8 as an appetizer or 4-6 as entrée"

As I say, Markham has some nice decorative salads, with things like
carrots and shrimps shredded and made into fleurs de lys, etc. I'll look
into that and see if I can post some recipes ASAP, but knowing me,
probably later rather than sooner... .

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
--