[Sca-cooks] adventures in Norseland

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Sep 20 08:05:03 PDT 2004

This weekend I went up to Albany to help a friend do a small feast for
Norseland. The theme was 10th c. Danelaw. Of course you can't come up
with many documented recipes from that period!

So, what he cooked was:

--a lentil pottage, with bacon, onions, carrots
and pork something-or-other on the bone that we removed before serving--
I believe we ended up thickening it a bit with some fine-ground barley
flour

--A 'traditional' norseland Oat pottage with spinach, onions, beef
broth and beer (it was pretty good, in my opinion, until we added the
beer... but I'm not a beer person... we both agreed that if he had used
something other than lager it would have been better though)

-- the mustard from the Harpestrang manuscript (to go with the pork
cooked on site by someone else)

-- a flavored butter with onions, dill and sour cream (his attempt to
get a bit of the sour taste of cultured butter)

-- A salat of spinach with mint, parsley, a bit of thyme and radishes,
dressed with hazelnut oil and malt vinegar (someone eating the feast was
allergic to apple products, so apple vinegar was out)

-- Roasted vegetables-- onion, carrot, parsnip, oiled with canola oil.
They were greedily snapped up... my friend had not cooked as much as he
normally would because at previous times the veggies had not been
eaten.. The key seems to be to overcook them. :)

-- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net "I have found
some of the best reasons I ever had for remaining at the bottom simply
by looking at the men at the top." Frank Colby