[Sca-cooks] Re: Spatzle

Ruth Frey ruthf at uidaho.edu
Wed Sep 22 13:32:09 PDT 2004

     I do love spatzle; don't have the recipe in front of me, but I make them with a stiff egg dough (pretty much along the lines of recipes already given).  I don't bother with grating them or rolling out the dough, I just make it into a ball and then pinch off little bits of it (about marble to grape sized) and toss them in the pot a few at a time.  They're done when they float, then you skim them off with a slotted spoon and toss in more.

     I like flavoring them with a little nutmeg and pepper, something a picked up from a friend of mine who said he read about that seasoning in a German cookbook.  Never saw his source, but it's tasty -- and at least sorta-Period.  ;)

     FWIW about using just egg yolks in spatzle and dumplings -- it probably helps keep them tender, since you don't have the albumin/protein from the white to toughen up when it cooks.

               -- Ruth