[Sca-cooks] venetian fine spice was Re: blancas and maravedis

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 23 10:22:54 PDT 2004

The Italians generally put cinnamon with their pasta in earlier times, it is truly a yummy combination.  However for appropriate spices you may want to look at these spice blends taken from the anonymous Venetian cookbook (14th/15th century) http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libroenglish.html

LXXIII Fine spices for all dishes (things)
Take one ounce of pepper, one of cinnamon, one of ginger, half a quarter (of an ounce) of cloves, and a quarter (of an ounce) of saffron.

LXXIV Sweet spices, enough for many good and fine things
The best fine sweet spices that you can make, for lamprey pie or for other good fresh water fish that one makes in a pie, and for good broths and sauces.  Take a quarter (of an ounce) of cloves, an ounce of good ginger, an ounce of soft (or sweet) cinnamon, and take a quantity (the same amount of?) Indian bay leaves (*) and grind all these spices together how you please.  And if you don’t want to do more, take these things (spices) in the same ratio (without grinding) and they will be marvelously good.
* the glossary at the end of the Arnaldo Forni edition of this book indicates that folio in this recipe refers to malabathrum or Cinnamomum tamala also known as Indian bay leaf.
LXXV Black and strong spices for many sauces.
Black and strong spices to make sauces.  Take half a quarter (of an ounce) of cloves, two ounces of pepper and an (equal) quantity of long pepper and nutmeg and do as all spices (grind).

For the "Xinxanella a la Veneciana" recipe at hand, I might use a 1
pound loaf of bread, which I think fulfills the description as "small",
and a real thimble full of saffron and three thimbles of "fine spice."
 Hmmm hoom, which fine spices?  What sounds Venician?  I might go for
fresh oregano and basil, your spiceage may vary.

Selene