[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 16, Issue 81

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 25 07:33:47 PDT 2004

Reb Avraham replied:
> However, the stuff I am talking about is a yeast-based spread, a sticky
> brown "savory" goo beloved by Brits and Brit ex-pats (but not even all of
> them). Has nothing to do with the French vegetable soup. It is fairly
> nutritious, has lots of riboflavin and B vitamins.

Something similar to Vegemite?

Yes, in that they'r both yeast spreads. Marmite was the original, invented in the early 1900s from the sludge left over from the brewing of beer in Burton-on-Trent; from what I understand, the "best" Marmite still comes from there (in that it follows the original recipe). My HUGE jar of Marmite was bought in England and was made in Burton-on-Trent.

Unilever Plc./BestFoods owns Marmite today. Here's a history of it:

http://www.marmite.com/marmite/history.html

The Website is cute.

Marmite is entirely vegan-friendly.

The difference between Marmite and Vegemite is that Vegemite adds caramel coloring.

Gianotta