[Sca-cooks] Pleasant culinary encounters

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 30 16:06:24 PDT 2004

I had two really nice things happen to me today.
First, I was at my Middle Ages class (today was Heraldry), when one of the
Moms (one that didn't have a kid in my class), showed up with a copy of "The
Medieval Feast" by Aliki.  I owned a copy of that book at one point, and
kept pictures of me and the cockentrice I made for my first food show inside
it.  It has gone missing some few years back, much to my dismay.  The Mom
(who's name I do not know) asked me if I knew the book, I said yes and told
her about the one I lost, and she said "Well, here, I want you to have it.
I didn't even remember it was on my shelf, and you will use it more than I
ever will."  !!!  I think I even have copies of the pictures, maybe.

Second, I went to the Dekalb Farmer's Market after class to eat and shop for
organic veggies and  meats.  There was a new salad on the line that looked
like finely shredded daikon, and I asked about it.  The girl said "new -
I'll go ask" and she came back with an incredibly nice Chinese man named
Kin.  He and I stood and talked about cooking and health and working in food
service and his upbringing - grandma started teaching him to cook at age 6,
father was a chinese herbalist, he also does kung fu, and talked about the
'maitenance' that one does for martial arts disciplines.  We exchanged
cards, I hope to be able to contact him to talk to my culinary students when
we go there for a field trip in the Spring.

All in all, a very good day, culinarily speaking :)
Christianna