[Sca-cooks] world's healthiest foods site

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 30 13:49:40 PDT 2004

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika, screv:

Hm... interesting site:
http://www.whfoods.com/index.html

	Yeah, if only they weren't featuring beets this month :p
	It looks a bit trendy to me, although I didn't surf through it much.
	One of the things that I am finding to be true on more and more things is
that each individual has to find their own perfect diet plan, and then it is
their diet.  Not being 'on a diet', just determining what their perfect
intake is.  Different foods, amounts, preparation methods, timing,
everything.  Sites and diet fads and programs that promote the be-all and
end-all plan for everyone just seem entirely too general to be much use.  To
me anyway.  I guess anything that helps get people more interested in what
they are eating is helpful.  I am trying to convince someone right now that
there is more to food than just filling the body up a requisite number of
times in a day, that the food you put inside you creates your overall health
picture.  Feed yourself crap, you'll feel crappy.  Feed yourself well, you
will feel well.  Figuring out what 'well' constitutes is the $64,000.
question, of course, but it really does make a difference.
	It's interesting to me that with the changes I've made in the foods I'm
eating has led me away from period foods, and landed me squarely in New
World ingredients.  I've noticed that the last several events when I
unpacked my cooler to eat, I've had tomatoes, corn, blue corn chips,
avacados, turkey, and many other non-period things. (No wheat, soy, dairy,
beef, nitrites, etc.) I've taken to paying for feast or not, depending on
seating arrangements, but always taking my own complete meal.  Sometimes I
can eat a few things from feast, sometimes not.  I will taste something if
it is important - like someone I know has cooked it and wants my opinion.  I
am sad to say that on more than one occasion my cooler provided a better
meal than what was being served - it got kind of funny at a recent feast
when folks were searching me out (I was sitting outside) to find out what
I'd brought.  I know a medieval diet is healthier than a 21st century
Standard American Diet, although I'd have problems in a wheat-heavy
environment.  Somewhere they ate a lot of millet and rice, I'd be fine :)
	I suppose where I'm going with all this is that 'healthy foods' is an
incredibly relative term.
:)
Christianna - on a rant