[Sca-cooks] Apple and pear pie?

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 17:58:25 PDT 2004

>I remember some years ago running across a recipe, probably in the
>Elizabethan corpus somewhere, for a mixed apple and pear pie.
>Anyone have any ideas
>where I might find something like this?  It's for dessert for the Metalsmith's
>Symposium that I am co-head cook for in November.

This is from the feast booklet from The Barony of the Middle March's
Twelfth Night

Tartys in Applis, Diverse Servicia #82

Tak gode applys & gode spyces & figys & reysouns & perys, & wan they
are wel ybrayd colour wyth safroun & do yt in a cofyn, & do it forth
to bake wel.

Take good apples and good spices and figs and raisins and pears, and
when they are chopped small, color with saffron and put them in a
pastry crust and do it forth to bake well.

This was served as apples and pears as a filling for a bread ring.
The "Five gold rings" for a Twelve Days of Christmas theme.

Ranvaig