[Sca-cooks] Apple and pear pie?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 22:40:43 PDT 2004

  Brangwayna asked:
> I remember some years ago running across a recipe, probably in the
> Elizabethan corpus somewhere, for a mixed apple and pear pie.  Anyone
> have any ideas where
How about this one from this file in the FOOD section of the
Florilegium:
14C-Fingerfds-art (10K) 10/14/01    "English - 14th Century Fingerfoods"
                                        by THL Kateryn de Develyn.

> Tartys in Applis/Apple and Pear Tart
> Curye on Inglish
>
> 3 apples chopped
> 2 pears chopped
> 1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
> 1/2 cup currants, chopped
> 1/4 teaspoon fresh coarsely black pepper
> 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
> 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
> 1 pie shell
> sugar -- for garnish
>
> Mix fruits and spices together thoroughly. Spread the mixture evenly
> in the
> bottom of a pie shell. Bake at 450 deg F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat
> to 350
> deg F for 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is
> bubbling.
> Serve at room temperature. Garnish with sugar if desired.
>
> This can be made as a large pie, or as mini-pies, or even muffin or
> mini-muffin sized pies. Adjust cooking time downward when using smaller
> pies.

If this isn't it, I think there are several more in the Florilegium. Go
to the search engine and use the "search with all these words" and use
"apple pear pie".

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas