[Sca-cooks] Libum recipe

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Sep 3 15:25:07 PDT 2004

>Cato's version of the recipe seems to call for a lot more cheese for an an
>approximately equal amount of flour and egg, if I'm remembering my flour
>weights (4 cups per pound).  Would Cato's cheese have been more liquid?
>
>Sandra

Another interesting question is would the flour have been wheat?  Barley was
the grain of choice during the Republic, giving way to wheat as Rome became
an empire.  The author of the recipe is Cato the Elder and predates the
Empire by around a hundred years.  The "fine flour" being called for in the
recipe might be barley flour rather than wheat flour.

Bear