[Sca-cooks] jaggery?

Craig Jones drakey at webone.com.au
Fri Sep 3 18:37:36 PDT 2004

> This stuff wasn't moist at all... rock hard is more like it.  I had
> this box of jaggery for a year or more and never used it because it
> was just too hard to cut up.  A nice young man asked if he could help
> in the kitchen.  I handed him the jaggery.  After a few minutes
> trying to cut it with a knife, he asked if he could use a hammer and
> chisel instead.  He washed the chisel well, and now I have usable
> pieces of jaggery  :)

Hmmm.... I've had a block of jaggery like that.  The stuff I buy here
(which is palm sugar usually from Malaysia) comes in a cylindrical block
and is hard but pliable when new but leave it in the pantry for 6 months
and it's rock hard.

Drakey.

Ps.  I'm greatly enjoying Innilgard(Adelaide)... The fresh fruit and
vegetables and smallgoods are fresher and tastier than anywhere else in
the country I've been, there are some fantastic restaurants