[Sca-cooks] Verjuice, and whole wheat bread

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 3 20:04:00 PDT 2004

I have used both verjus and Middle Eastern sour white grape juice.
Alas, none of the stores that used to carry verjus have it anymore
:-( even though a couple companies up here in NoCal make the stuff.

The sour white grape juice was pretty cheap - i still have half a
bottle that's been in my fridge for close to two years and it hasn't
spoiled.

The verjus was around $8 for a small (? 8 oz.?) bottle and came in
both red and white. It was very delicious, and i actually drank some.

The Middle Eastern white grape juice was intensely sour - the old
stuff in the fridge is now much more mellow. Perhaps keeping it for a
couple years is the answer.

While it might be necessary to substitute the Middle Eastern sour
white grape juice for verjus, in my experience, at least, they don't
taste the same.

Anahita
who has counted the spices, herbs, sweeteners, and souring agents in
both al-Baghdadi and the Anon. Andalusian and has compared them. -
and they both call for sour grape juice...