[Sca-cooks] Another bread question - bakeries

Brett McNamara brettmc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 05:53:54 PDT 2004

Many cultures still do this today.  I don't have sources to hand, but
I recall the practice of bringing dough to baker happening in such
diverse locales as Morocco, Italy, and parts of India.  In Italy they
make distinct patterns on the top of the loaf, kind of a makers mark,
so they know which one to pick up.

An oven is obviously quite a resource investment.  It takes a lot of
fuel to get the thing to any kind of thermal mass.  However, once
there, maintenance is far more economical.  A big, shared one makes
sense.

We know for sure that grain was brought to a miller throughout period,
it's not unlikely dough would be brought to baker by the same culture.

Wistan