[Sca-cooks] Another bread question - bakeries

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Sep 4 06:54:08 PDT 2004

Also sprach Brett McNamara:
>Many cultures still do this today.  I don't have sources to hand, but
>I recall the practice of bringing dough to baker happening in such
>diverse locales as Morocco, Italy, and parts of India.  In Italy they
>make distinct patterns on the top of the loaf, kind of a makers mark,
>so they know which one to pick up.
>
>An oven is obviously quite a resource investment.  It takes a lot of
>fuel to get the thing to any kind of thermal mass.  However, once
>there, maintenance is far more economical.  A big, shared one makes
>sense.
>
>We know for sure that grain was brought to a miller throughout period,
>it's not unlikely dough would be brought to baker by the same culture.

There are medieval English laws on the books (maybe look in one of
the Assizes) specifying the penalties for short-weight loaves, and
also for a sort of bait-and-switch scam some bakers would pull, in
which a loaf left for baking on the counter would be placed over a
little trapdoor, under which was an accomplice (presumably an
apprentice of some sort) who'd hide under the counter and pull off
handfuls of dough from the underside of the loaf. The baker would
then knead these handfuls together, shape into loaves, bake and sell
them as his own.

Which, I guess, is a roundabout way of saying, yeah, bakers did
sometimes bake loaves the customers brought in for that purpose. C.
Anne Wilson also mentions it briefly (the practice of bakers baking
bread made by others) in "Food and Drink In Britain". Offhand, I
don't know what her source for that information is, but I've seen it
mentioned numerous times.

I think that, as Wistan mentions, the fuel requirements for a
dedicated oven, not to mention the possibility of fire, even in a
small village, and, for all I know, some weird Norman licensing thing
(as with millers), might tend to make having a real baking oven in
one's home, unless your home was a manor house of some kind, unlikely.

And stories of other things, like cassoulet and cholent, being
dropped off at the baker's to be picked up when needed seem to abound
until the early 20th century, which leads me to suspect an oven in
the home was a comparative rarity in the Middle Ages. Which, of
course, does not preclude baking on the hearth, either under a cloche
of some sort, or in a pot, or wrapped in leaves or a cloth, etc.

Adamantius

>Wistan
>

>On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 23:38:47 -0400, AEllin Olafs dotter
><aellin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>  While we're discussing bread... I was talking about baking  in period
>>  with someone a while ago, and a question arose.
>>
>>  I was under the impression that bakers made all or almost all  bread, as
>>  a general rule, from scratch and by their own recipes, and people simply
>>  purchased it.
>>
>>  The person I was speaking to believes that the individual household
>>  would prepare their own loaves, and then bring the risen loaves to the
>>  baker to bake. A communal oven, so to speak, but not a single baker.
>>
>>  Of course, I'm looking mostly at later period, urban situations... and
>>  she has looked largely at somewhat earlier, more rural settings,
>>  villages, rather than large cities - would that be the difference? Or is
>>  one of us mistaken? Or is this just another case of that messy word
>>  "period" - covering a thousand years and an entire continent (with
>>  extras,) of course there are differences?
>>
>>  I'm interested in this... Bear? *G* Anyone else?
>>
>>  AEllin

Holt, 07/29/04