[Sca-cooks] Another bread question - bakeries

Carol Eskesen Smith BrekkeFranksdottir at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 4 17:22:46 PDT 2004

Thanks . Bear!

Regards,
Brekke

----- Original Message -----
From: Terry Decker
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 7:34 PM
To: Cooks within the SCA
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Another bread question - bakeries

You are actually speaking of several different cultures and at least two
occupations, bakers and oven-keepers.

Bakers prepared dough, baked bread and specialty cakes and would rent oven
space to customers (for baking their dough) during the baker's baking.
Baker's thrived because they offered a better product than most people could
produce.

Ovenkeepers either owned ovens or were licensed to run a communal oven.
They collected fees for baking bread for people who had no oven.  Communal
ovens were (and still are) more common in rural villages, where the village
owns the oven and the ovenkeeper is an employee of the village.  There are
still some ovenkeepers in rural France and Italy (and probably other
places).

Since ovenkeepers were often paid in kind and sold the excess bread they
received, they came into conflict with the bakers.  Over time, most of the
ovenkeepers were subsumed into the baker's guilds.  You can see some of this
in the history of the whitebakers and brownbakers in London.

Large households in England tended to hire a baker at the profit fixed under
the Assize of Bread and the baker was then responsible for purchasing
materials and preparing the household's bread.

Just how things were done depends largely on time and place, economics and
the regulations in effect.

Bear