[Sca-cooks] Another bread question - bakeries

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Sep 5 04:40:25 PDT 2004

In a message dated 9/3/2004 11:39:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
aellin at earthlink.net writes:

<<I was under the impression that bakers made all or almost all  bread, as
a general rule, from scratch and by their own recipes, and people simply
purchased it.

The person I was speaking to believes that the individual household
would prepare their own loaves, and then bring the risen loaves to the
baker to bake. A communal oven, so to speak, but not a single baker.

Of course, I'm looking mostly at later period, urban situations... and
she has looked largely at somewhat earlier, more rural settings,
villages, rather than large cities - would that be the difference? Or is
one of us mistaken? Or is this just another case of that messy word
"period" - covering a thousand years and an entire continent (with
extras,) of course there are differences?>>

Yes to the above :-)  Well, except for one of you being mistaken.  You are
both right in a sense.
One of the feudal disabilities in some rural areas was a prohibition against
having your own oven (or your own mill, for that matter).  If you fell under
those rules, you had to use the mill and oven provided by the lord and pay a
fee to do so.

In towns, there were professional bakers, from whom you could buy loaves of
ready-made bread.  However, you could also take your own bread, pies, or
whatever that needed to be baked to the baker and negotiate a price for him to bake
it for you.  In fact, one of the old dodges for a dishonest baker was to hide
an apprentice under a counter with a small trapdoor in it and, while the baker
and customer were haggling the price, have the apprentice open the door and
steal some dough from the bottom of the customer's loaf that was sitting on the
counter.  The customer paid to have, say a 2 lb loaf baked, but got back a
shortweight loaf, and the baker got free dough to use to make loaves to sell.

Brangwayna