[Sca-cooks] In need of English Ren feast menus

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 6 16:06:59 PDT 2004

Hmmm, here are some sources to take a look at:

http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/special/lifemann/manners/feast.h
tml

http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/bookecok.htm

And a slightly earlier menu:

http://mysticwomen.mcmaster.ca/scriptorium/recipes.html

I don't know of an immediate source online, but Michael Best's edition of
Gervase Markham's "The English Housewife" has a long paragraph on the
"Ordering of banquets" (essentially a course of sweets) and several pages on
"Ordering of great feasts and proportion of expense."

And, IIRC, "Fabulous Feasts" has quite a bit of information on feasts and
menus which is much superior to the recipes.

Bear