[Sca-cooks] Re: Raw Eggs and Bagpipes

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Sep 6 17:09:18 PDT 2004

Also sprach Martha Oser:
>In the same Mythbusters episode as the egg-in-the-radiator test,
>they also tried plugging the tailpipe of a car with a potato to see
>if it would cause the car not to start.  Quite the contrary, the
>potato routinely shot out of the tailpipe at damaging speeds upon
>startup of the car (a 1970's-era big-block Cadillac of some kind).
>They didn't test shoving the tater up the pipe of an already-running
>car.

I was under the impression that the rationale for shoving a potato up
the exhaust pipe of a car was to do so with the car running, and the
theory is that the carbon-monoxide-laden exhaust will end up filling
the cab.

OTOH, they may also have chosen the Killer Caddy specifically to
debunk a myth which is otherwise (possibly) not a myth.

I've never tried it; I've always been a nitrogen triiodide man myself ;-)

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04