[Sca-cooks] Re: Raw Eggs and Bagpipes

Martha Oser osermart at msu.edu
Mon Sep 6 16:51:07 PDT 2004

> I think we need to examine the possibilities behind using raw
> potatoes, which would not only have value (presumably) as air and
> sound dampers, but also a ballistic potential.
>
> Adamantius, who likes bagpipes, but also has a nifty book called
> "Backyard Ballistics", about making various "toy" cannons out of
> household items

In the same Mythbusters episode as the egg-in-the-radiator test, they also
tried plugging the tailpipe of a car with a potato to see if it would cause
the car not to start.  Quite the contrary, the potato routinely shot out of
the tailpipe at damaging speeds upon startup of the car (a 1970's-era
big-block Cadillac of some kind).  They didn't test shoving the tater up the
pipe of an already-running car.

 -Helena, who watches too much TV