[Sca-cooks] Raw Eggs and Bagpipes

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 7 10:27:47 PDT 2004

They used to use grease, too - lard was common.

I have a cookbook from Ireland, in which the author reminisces about her
mother sealing eggs with butter, which she said imparted a very faint
flavor. She said her mother took them warm from the hen... not practical
for most of us *G* though I still want to try this for a camping event.

I know that I've read that waterglass eventually affects the texture - a
vague idea that waterglass eggs wouldn't whip, or got runny, or
something like that. I think that's one of my Random Pieces of
Knowledge, though - from a memoir or something, rather than a cookbook,
so I don't honestly know if that was the waterglass or the age.

AEllin