[Sca-cooks] Raw Eggs and Bagpipes

Avraham haRofeh avrahamharofeh at herald.sca.org
Tue Sep 7 04:05:52 PDT 2004

>>> You don't carry a raw egg with you when you drive?
>>>
>> No, I don't.  Though I could, since I can make my glove box air-
>> conditioned (at least while the car is running...)
>>
> Even for eating, eggs will keep a lot longer than many folks think. For
> this use, I suspect they'll keep even longer so long as they don't
> explode. :-)

The FDA says 60 days. I have safely used eggs for scrambling past 90 days.
As the egg ages, there is some breakdown of the proteins, so the white no
longer "sits up" beneath the yolk when made sunny-side-up, and there is some
dehydration through the shell, so the volumes can be somewhat off for
baking.

Reb Avraham haRofeh
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
Quarterly azure and argent, four mascles counterchanged
Random Tag: Never say never; say 'highly unlikely' instead.