Oops--[Sca-cooks] Conversion from butter to oil?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Tue Sep 7 22:18:35 PDT 2004

At 23:00 -0400 2004-09-07, SEBD at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 9/7/04 10:28:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> ranvaig at columbus.rr.com writes:
>
>> This is what I meant to say. It works for all vegetable/olive oils.
>> >
>> >1 teaspoon butter = ¾ teaspoon oil
>>

>> Except that all these came out as meaningless
>> graphics, not fractions.  Could you please repeat
>> it but type out the fractions?
>>

> Gee, I am sorry. I have no idea why it looks like that on your side of the
> screen. Let me try it again.

Not your fault.  Word for Windows (and perhaps other Microsoft products)
as a default setting convert some of the common fractions on the fly to
non-standard Microsoft single character items.  Which look very nice on
a Windows computer.

But when transmitted over the Internet to other machines they come
out as weird characters.  For example, the Microsoft fraction '1/2'
usually displays on my machine as the Greek letter 'pi'.

If you want to avoid this, find the relevant Option in Word (or other
product) and turn it off.  This will not fix existing fractions, but
it will stop your software from creating new ones.

Thorvald