[Sca-cooks] Another "rotten meat" article...

margaret m.p.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 9 15:48:03 PDT 2004

I've never heard of "miliacita" and I'm a little suspicious of the liguistic
construction of the word.  I would check with a good Greek dictionary or a
Greek linguist, if one is available.

It may be they are referring to a millet cake ("miliaceum" being the species
name for millet, derived from the Latin, "milium").  Or it may be a bad
reference to "melitate," a Greek honey bread.

I suspect "plankuntos" is probably an unleavened flatbread ("maza") of
barley on which "opson" (modernly meaning fish but anciently meaning any
food other than bread, according to Toussaint-Samat) was served.  If so, it
may be similar to the recipe for barley bread in the Sumerian hymn to
Ninkasa.

Bear