[Sca-cooks] Medieval Gastronomy website

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 08:05:52 PDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Huette von Ahrens <ahrenshav at yahoo.com>

--- ranvaig at columbus.rr.com wrote:

> Since we are talking about subtleties, I
> thought I'd point out some
> kind of food, shaped as a heart.
> http://expositions.bnf.fr/gastro/grands/150.htm

But what is happening with the poor lady in
green?
Did she jump or was she thrown from a tower?
Such a sad picture.

I regret to inform you that the item depicted is *not* a subtlety.  The caption makes it clear that this is a scene of "The Lovers' Feast" from "The Decameron".  It refers to the ninth tale on the fourth day, in which a jealous husband suspects that his wife is having an affair with his best friend.  He kills his friend, cuts out his heart, and has it cooked and served to her for dinner, claiming that it is the heart of a wild boar.  After the meal, he reveals what the meal really was.  The wife proclaims her innocence, and throws herself out of a window to her death.

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/b/boccaccio/giovanni/b664d/dec46.html

http://etext.library.adelaide.edu.au/b/boccaccio/giovanni/b664d/dec46.html

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom