[Sca-cooks] Yes, it's gross, but I'm curious . . .

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 10 13:22:58 PDT 2004

> Also sprach Chass Brown:
>
>> Aye there is a cocks mead... basically beat a chicken to death with a
>> rock and put it in your mead.. but I wont be doing it lol
>

> I've made the cock ale recipe that's in Kenelm Digby a couple of
> times. It's actually surprisingly good.
>
> It involves boiling said cock until tender, crushing it somewhat until
> the major bones are broken, then steeping it, cold, in sack (the wine)
> with spices and raisins. This is then all placed in a sack (we wrapped
> it in cheesecloth and tied it like a bindle) and added to ale just
> finished with its primary fermentation.
>
> Yes, the rumors are true: the yeasts do eat [most of] the chicken.

I seem to recall a possible legend about Scumpy/Scrumpy, the notoriously
smooth and deceptively strong apple cider from the West Country, which
was reputed to be best when a dead rat was dropped in the barrel.  When
the rat had totally dissolved, the cider was ready to drink.  Yum Yum Yuk.

In the meantime:  I suspect that somebody is playing a bit of a trick on
Our Ruth with the deer dropping story.

Selene with not too much rat in it please