[Sca-cooks] Yes, it's gross, but I'm curious . . .

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Sep 10 05:36:42 PDT 2004

Also sprach Chass Brown:
>Aye there is a cocks mead... basically beat a chicken to death with
>a rock and put it in your mead.. but I wont be doing it lol

I've made the cock ale recipe that's in Kenelm Digby a couple of
times. It's actually surprisingly good.

It involves boiling said cock until tender, crushing it somewhat
until the major bones are broken, then steeping it, cold, in sack
(the wine) with spices and raisins. This is then all placed in a sack
(we wrapped it in cheesecloth and tied it like a bindle) and added to
ale just finished with its primary fermentation.

Yes, the rumors are true: the yeasts do eat [most of] the chicken.

The end product has a rich flavor and an interesting, protein-ey
mouth feel, which may or may not have as much to do with the sack and
the raisins as it does with the chicken... it also has a slightly
darkened color which may have to do with the sack and the raisins,
but also because you need to use a wide-mouthed vessel to get the bag
into, and some surface oxidation may be taking place in the early
stages.

It doesn't taste abjectly weird or so different from other ales that
it is especially noteworthy, but for the expression of fear it
engenders.

All I know is my buddy Ateno then, subsequently, went on to make a
batch of fairly ordinary beer he called, for simple filing purposes,
"Elephant Toes", people who tasted it asked, "Now, there are no
actual elephant or other endangered species' parts in here, are
there?"

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04