[Sca-cooks] stewing chickens?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Sep 13 06:42:36 PDT 2004

> >Chickens I can get in the store but I don't think I've ever seen
> >them labeled as "stewing chicken", although perhaps I just haven't
> >noticed. So, for this use, what should I look for?
>
> Sometimes known as a baking chicken or hen. Generic "fowl", in
> marketing terms, are, as far as I can tell, even older, stringier,
> and significantly smaller than those labelled "baking chicken".

Hm... I've never seen baking chickens. (One imagines them in little
Julia Child/King Arthur Flour outfits...) We sometimes get 'roasting
chickens'-- what my Christopher calls "Purdue Turrrkey-Chickens!" but I
wouldn't use them for this recipe. The person who wrote up this recipe--
we redacted it together--, Sarah bas Mordechai, is Jewish and a lot more
experienced with cooking chicken than I, so I just copied her term.

I'd just go to the store and buy some chicken thighs, I believe that's
what I did. But if you have a choice between roasters and non-roasters,
get non-roasters. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I have found some of the best reasons I ever had for remaining
at the bottom simply by looking at the men at the top." Frank Colby