[Sca-cooks] stewing chickens?

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Sep 13 03:06:02 PDT 2004

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>From Jadwiga:
>>Hen in Broth
>>Stewing Chicken, 6.9 lb, cut up.
>Chickens I can get in the store but I don't think I've ever seen
>them labeled as "stewing chicken", although perhaps I just haven't
>noticed. So, for this use, what should I look for?

Sometimes known as a baking chicken or hen. Generic "fowl", in
marketing terms, are, as far as I can tell, even older, stringier,
and significantly smaller than those labelled "baking chicken".

You might also, if you're relying on the supermarket, see if they
have any Kosher chickens (I mean, where does Kinky Friedman shop?) --
I'm pretty sure Empire packs and sells a baking hen.

You might also simply ask the guy in charge of putting the meat on
the plastic trays and covering them with plastic wrap, the artist
formerly known as the butcher ;-).

Feel better...

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04