[Sca-cooks] period riddles

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 13 20:53:21 PDT 2004

Lainie replied to me with:
> At 12:29 AM 9/13/2004, you wrote:
> > Lainie gave two period riddles here back on Aug 19 and then said:
> >> (Not bad considering my books are still down south and  had to
> search
> >> online!)
> > Yes, it was. How did you find these online?
> > I did find and buy a book on (I think. Right now, I can't find it)
> > Anglo-Saxon riddles at this last Pennsic.
> > I'd like to be able to do more bardic, and these might be good,
> although
> > riddles may be a problem because the entire thing needs to be
> memorized
> > word for word. Anyway, more sources or book recommendations would be
> > excellent, either for the Florilegium or my own use. And probably
> being
> > off subject for this list, unless food related, email would be fine.
>
> Silly Stefan, now that everyone will want to know...
<snip>

Thanks, Lainie. I'll take a look at these instructions, although they
seem a bit like a riddle, themselves. :-) Especially without your
instructions.

Tonight I was able to spend more time looking, or perhaps I was just
bit more clear headed, and I found the book I had bought. So just in
case anyone else might be interested:
Anglo-Saxon Riddles by John Porter
Anglo-Saxon Books, Norfolk, England
4th reprint, Expanded and Reprinted 2003
ISBN 1-898281-32-7

94 riddles in the original and modern English plus the solutions in
modern English with occasional explanations.
137 paages. Paperback. It's marked as 4.95 pounds. I bought it for
$8.95 at Pennsic.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas