[Sca-cooks] Hog, etc roaster for sale, on line...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Sep 14 18:23:28 PDT 2004

Also sprach Huette von Ahrens:
>--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
><adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>  But let's say 50% is a reasonable rule of thumb
>>  for a dressed pig --
>>  figure on somewhere around 50 lbs raw pork
>>  muscle meat from a 100-lb
>>  pig. Roughly 70 servings...
>>

>>  Adamantius
>
>What is your formula?  Why 70 servings from 50
>pounds of "muscle meat"?  I would have thought
>that it would be closer to 100 servings, if the
>pork were the only meat and closer to 200
>servings if there were other meats served along
>with the pork.
>
>To my way of thinking, 1/2 pound of meat is a
>very generous serving for almost anyone.  And
>a 1/4 pound of meat along with several other
>1/4 pounds of other sorts of meat would be very
>very ample.  When I do a multi-course banquet and
>serve about 1 pound of combined meats per person,
>they usually go away so full that they don't want
>to eat again for several days.

50 lbs of "muscle meat", discounting bone, skin, fat, and odds and
ends such as tongue, skin, ears, etc., which some, but not all,
people will eat.

That was based on [more or less] an average of differing opinions as
to the percentage of edible portion on a whole dressed pig.

Using the numbers Jadwiga (who is the one who asked the question
about percentage of edible portion versus waste) supplied, I just
plugged them in, divided 50 by .75 and got 66.66666...

Yes, there will be shrinkage in cooking, and it will all depend on
what else there is to eat, not to mention the eating habits of the
group you're dealing with, so this is by far the least and most
mutable portion of my response to Jadwiga.

I don't know the edible portion percentage of split hares, offhand ;-)

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04