[Sca-cooks] Oop - Mill

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 14 20:58:56 PDT 2004

Finne commented:
> I found a really neat mill last weekend, it's a restored(?) mill that
> was build in 1845 so a bit lite, but some folks here might like the
> pictures anyways :)
> The neat thing is that I can get all kinds of specialty grains there,
> stone ground instead of steel ground(?) commercial products.
"Steel-milled", I believe.
For previous discussion of what the differences are between the stone
ground and the modern flours, much by Bear, check out this Florilegium
file:
flour-msg         (60K)  5/25/02    Types of flour. Sources. Period
flour.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/flour-msg.html

> http://yoda.rave.org/~fboonen/Fotos/Mill
Oh! A windmill! I was expecting a water driven mill. Traveling
throughout the U.S. I've seen quite a number of waterwheels but never a
windmill driven mill. Where was this?

Various books give the origin of the windmill as between the 8th and
12th C., at least several centuries later than when the waterwheel came
into use.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas