[Sca-cooks] A new job

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 14 22:26:02 PDT 2004

Gunthar, New La Madeline Associate, commented:
> Well, I finally have a job. I pretty much fought tooth and nail to
> avoid
> it but I couldn't sit idly by anymore.
Congratulations!
> I got a job in a restaurant, like all my friends have been telling me
> do. It's at a little French Bakery/Bistro called "La Madeline" which is
> a pretty groovy place all told.

La Madeline must be at least a regional chain then since there are at
least two down here in Austin. Their decoration is interesting. Kind of
like the SCA at times. They try very hard to give the impression of a
19th or 20th C French Bistro but starting from, and being in the middle
of, usually a suburban strip shopping center, it is hard to escape the
fact of where you are. They are heavily decorated with wood and
brickwork and numerous knickknacks.

Admittedly, not having been to many French restaurants, the impression
I get is working rather than high class French. Also typically French,
or what I've seen as "French or Continental style", small portions with
high prices. The food items though have been consistently well done and
they have trays of freshly baked breads with butter and jams
complimentary with your other purchases. Items are served buffet style.

I'll admit that things may be different four hours to the north.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com