[Sca-cooks] kids/ baked squash

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Sep 17 23:54:46 PDT 2004

Stefan writes:

>Squash is one of those items that can be difficult to know since, I
>believe, some varieties are Old World and some are New World.

There are varieties of edible gourds that are Old World, but to the
best of my knowledge all of the things we now call squash or pumpkin
are New World and none of the Old World edible gourds are likely to
be encountered as foods outside of a Chinese restaurant or grocery.

Of course, there is the separate question of which New World foods
were used in Europe before 1600.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com