[Sca-cooks] kids/ baked squash

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Sep 17 22:50:27 PDT 2004

Cassie commented:
> It was served at the feast the kids prepared at Castellan 2001. I just
> had a copy of the recipies that  had been sent to me.I am sorry I
> assumed it was period

Squash is one of those items that can be difficult to know since, I
believe, some varieties are Old World and some are New World. Although
there have been some attempts to make lists of what is and isn't
period, this is really a difficult task because it boils down to
"period" for when and where. Some items were period for Roman Britain,
aren't for Anglo-Saxon England but are for Anglo-Norman England, for
instance (rabbits). Some things are period for 16th C. Spain, but not
for 16th C. England (peppers).

For more details, specifically on squash, you might be interested in
this file:
gourds-msg        (94K)  5/29/02    Gourds, pumpkins, squash. Recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/gourds-msg.html
> David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
> <snip of recipe>
> I'm not sure if this was a response to the query about kid friendly
> period recipes--but if so, acorn squash are from the New World.
> --
> David/Cariadoc

There are probably quite a number of period recipes in the Florilegium
which could be made by kids, but not having any children, I'm not quite
sure what kids can or should be able to do in the kitchen and which
things they shouldn't be asked/allowed to do.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com