[Sca-cooks] Thistle Recipe from Fabulous Feasts

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 19 09:58:51 PDT 2004

Well, blueberries being New World, probably not any period recipes for them.
We are talking Fab. Feasts here, so who knows where the original idea/recipe
came from?
Christianna

The period ingredient I'm familiar with for coloring things blue is
turnsole. Does anyone know of a period recipe that uses blueberries
for coloring? That uses blueberries at all? So far the nearest I have
found is a reference to whortleberries (which can be a name for
blueberries) in Hildegard of Bingen--warning against eating them,
because they are bad for you.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com