[Sca-cooks] Thistle Recipe from Fabulous Feasts

Sandy mensik ladyelfseeker at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 12:42:40 PDT 2004

 I a totally unfamiliar with turnsole.So I gyess i'm sticking my foot in for todays lesson.
 Cassie

David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:
>I have made this, once with great success, and once without.
>
>The object of the recipe is to get the rice stuffing for the artichoke a
>nice purply color, so that it looks like a thistle in bloom when served.
>The rice is flavored with chicken stock as I recall, and is supposed to be
>savory. We did this (many, many years ago) in the test kitchen and it
>turned out great. We loved it. The blueberries are just there for color
>and don't add much flavor, so it didn't taste like it should have been
>sweet.

The period ingredient I'm familiar with for coloring things blue is
turnsole. Does anyone know of a period recipe that uses blueberries
for coloring? That uses blueberries at all? So far the nearest I have
found is a reference to whortleberries (which can be a name for
blueberries) in Hildegard of Bingen--warning against eating them,
because they are bad for you.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com

Remember,Cats are little women in fur coats..