[Sca-cooks] Thistle Recipe from Fabulous Feasts

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Sep 20 08:14:48 PDT 2004

> The period ingredient I'm familiar with for coloring things blue is
> turnsole. Does anyone know of a period recipe that uses blueberries
> for coloring? That uses blueberries at all? So far the nearest I have
> found is a reference to whortleberries (which can be a name for
> blueberries) in Hildegard of Bingen--warning against eating them,
> because they are bad for you.

Hm... Blueberries have a European cousin, bilberry or whortleberry, but
I don't know if they used it for coloring.

What kind of berry is used in the Cerulean Blue Sauce for Summer (I'm
using the title from Redon's _Medieval Kitchen_, I don't remember what
culture it comes from...)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I have found some of the best reasons I ever had for remaining
at the bottom simply by looking at the men at the top." Frank Colby