[Sca-cooks] Almond Milk

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 20 16:05:34 PDT 2004

A pound of almonds would probably be at least shelled. If you make 2 gallons
you will end up with very thin milk. I get between 5 and 8 cups from a
pound, depending on how strong I want the milk to be.

I almost always start with blanched slivered almonds, as it's fairly
economical in bulk without the hassle of skinning the dratted things. Then I
grind them fine, so I suppose you could start with almond meal as long as it
isn't adulterated with anything. I just soak the ground almonds in hot broth
or water for half an hour or so -- about 6 cups of liquid for 1 pound of
almonds -- and then strain the liquid off. You can soak them a second time
in more broth or water to get a higher yield of milk.

I haven't actually tried to boil the milk down, so I can't answer the last
question.

Cynara